Monks

Over the centuries a number of religious orders founded priories in Mullingar: the Augustinians (1227), the Dominicians (1237), The Trinitarians, the Franciscans (1662), and the Capuchins (1663), but none of these priories have survived. The Priory of St Mary, anciently called the House of God of Mullingar, was founded in 1227 by Ralph de Petit, Bishop of Meath, for Canons Regular of the Order of St. Augustine and was closed in 1593 during the Reformation. In 1996 the foundations of the priory and its adjacent burial grounds were discovered during building excavations. Some of the graves contained scallop shells which proved the owners had undertaken the arduous pilgrimage to the grave of St. James in Santiago de Compostela in northwest Spain.

View the History of Mullingar Jewellery Collection